Application form guidelines
The Access to Elected Office Fund is designed to provide funding for disabled people who want to gain access to elected office.
Click here for the latest application form guidelines (PDF) Last updated: 2 July 2012
You can apply for money from the fund to meet the additional disability-related support needs that you face in standing for elected office compared to a non-disabled person.
You can apply to the fund if you want to stand in the following elections or by-elections.
- UK Parliament elections (whether you live in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland)
- Local elections (not parish) in England
- Greater London Authority elections
- Mayoral elections in England
- Police and crime commissioner elections in England and Wales
The fund will run until the end of March 2014.
Guidance for filling in the application form
Before completing and application please read the application guidance notes to ensure you are eligible before you apply to the fund. The FAQ section also has lots of useful advice. To download our guidance for filling in the application form please click here .
Am I eligible?
You are eligible to apply to the Access to Elected Office Fund if you:
- can confirm that you are eligible to stand for office under the requirements of electoral law, which are set out in the Electoral Commission’s guidance: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/guidance/resources-for-those-we-regulate/candidates-and-agents.;
- can provide evidence relating to your disability; and
- can show us evidence of previous involvement or interest in civic, community or other relevant activities.
All applications to the fund must be supported by an independent referee or member of the political party for which you are applying for selection or standing for elected office.
If your application is successful, we will ask you to provide proof of your name and address, and evidence relating to your disability. Please do not send evidence with your application. If we approve your application we will contact you to ask you for this.
The payment process is separate from the application process and will take place after the date you receive your grant letter. If your application is successful, we will process your payment after you send us invoices and receipts for the items you set out in your application (up to the maximum amount awarded).
It is your responsibility to make sure that all money you receive and spend on standing for election complies with the law. You should look at the Electoral Commission’s guidance which sets out the rules for each election and for accepting donations: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/guidance/resources-for-those-we-regulate/candidates-and-agents.
Last updated: July 3, 2012
Read about disabled people who are active in politics.